Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rhubarb-Strawberry Pie

ok, I'm back, minor family emergency slowed me down a couple of days. I realized that things had normalized last night when making dinner... even with the bf doing some dishes as we went, it looked like two bombs had gone off in the kitchen. This morning it's down to 1/2 a bomb. Since I'm late with the promised recipe, I'll give you a twofer, the second recipe will be posted separately. Plus I need to write down last night's dessert before I forget what I put in there. My short term memory, not so great, well, that and the couple glasses of wine I was having at the time, ...... when I get happy I tend to stop using measuring implements, so I'll have to guess a bit..... I started putting organic next to the ingredients list, but I would add that to ALL the ingredients, personally, so I'm just making a note of it here. If you don't usually use all organic ingredients, I would strongly suggest to at least use organic strawberries (one of the most heavily dosed crops we eat) and the orange peel, since a majority of the pesticides in oranges are absorbed by the peel. Oh, and I hope you will use organic sugar, because the commercial sugar farms' runoff tends to end up in the Everglades, which is struggling to survive. Thanks... Be healthy!

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

recipe is for a 10" round pie

ingredients:

3 1/2 cups of rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
2 cups of strawberries, chopped
3 tbsp. tapioca starch
1/2 tsp. grated orange peel (organic, the pesticides are in the peel) I used meyer lemon peel, because I buy organic and figure for the price I may as well zest the peel and use it, too. I'm big on finding every possible use for the food I buy
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ground cardamom pods or a dash of ground cardamom
dash of sea salt
1 tbsp. orange juice
your fave pie crust, you can either make this an open face pie or put a second crust on the top and make some cut aways to vent, I used a crumble type crust for the bottom and the top

In a mixing bowl, use a spoon to thoroughly mix together all the ingredients (except the crust, of course). Heat oven to 350* and bake bottom crust till just browned. Pull out of the oven and add filling. Add top crust if using. Place in oven for about an hour, cooking time will depend on your oven and elevation, so check on it occassionally. When the filling is bubbly and the crust is browning, it's done.
 I didn't need to put foil over it with my crumble topping, but you may want to cover it for half the baking time if using a conventional crust, so that it doesn't burn. Let the pie cool for a bit, like half an hour so that the filling can settle, and then eat while still warm.

We ate pretty much the whole pie the first night!

No comments:

Post a Comment