Friday, April 27, 2012

Nettle Chai tea

The weather here in Seattle, turned back to cold and rainy this week. Someone gave me some Marion berries to add to my berry patch, but I haven't wanted to go out in the weather and dig....... hang in there babies! The cool weather is making me crave warm teas again. This is a tea based on a recipe I found on Pinterest for a Kashmiri style chai, and I tweaked it a bit because I'm doing an elimination diet without caffeine, and also because I drink nettle tea everyday anyway.


Nettle Chai Tea

about 2 tbsp. dried stinging nettle
3 cloves, ground, or a good pinch, pre-ground
3 to 4 cardamon pods, ground
1 tsp. stevia leaf, or your fave sweetener
pinch of saffron
2 walnuts broken up (optional)

Simmer the nettle, cloves, stevia and cardamon in about 2 cups of water for about 5 minutes after simmer starts. Strain into cup in which saffron has been placed. Let steep for a few minutes. For a touch of the exotic add the walnut and/ or some milk. (I use almond milk as I'm dairy-free)


No comments:

Post a Comment